Sunday, September 10, 2006
The "R" Word

Responsibility has been the theme of church lately.
Ugh. Sometimes I don't want to be responsible. There are definitely things to do that are more fun. Shopping. Watching a movie. Rearranging my sock drawer.

This week everyone's favorite blonde Paris Hilton got charged with D.U.I. She denied it all, but had this to say: "Everything I do is blown out of proportion. It really hurts my feelings." It may hurt her feelings, but I'm betting wrapping herself around a phone pole would hurt more. So not responsible.

Taking the easy way out is definitely easier. Brad Pitt recently blamed his lack of vows to Angelina on the current American definition of marriage, stating whenever people in this country could marry whomever they wished, then he and Angie would tie the knot. Sigh. And here I thought all this time he was just holding out for me. Still, another example of someone not accepting responsibility for his actions and their consequences.

Last week I did something stupid and had to call and apologize. It's hard. It stinks. It makes my palms sweat. But it's the right thing to do. And I like to sleep at night.

God tells us that he's searching throughout the earth to help those who are doing the right thing and totally sold out to the Lord(II Chron. 16:9). You know, being responsible and Godly. Instead of organizing the sock drawer.

I teach at a giant high school.Last week I asked my students what they had done lately in attempt to be a better human being. One responded that she had helped a student who didn't have lunch money. Another gave a teacher a hand. What about you? Let us know what you've done lately that gets you an A+ for being awesomely upright. And if you see Paris or Brad, fill them in.

  posted at 2:36 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Let's ask Mr. Pitt if he will refuse to take his private jet next time he flies until everyone can afford that kind of luxury. Or if he will refuse a multi-millino dollar paycheck until teachers, police officers, firemen are paid a more realistic salary. (Not my idea - I read that on foxnews.com)

Erin Valentine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up