Thursday, October 18, 2007
Ninth Graders Say the Darndest Things
So I ask my students a "question of the day." On Monday they might have to tell me their favorite TV show, Tuesday their least favorite band, etc. When you ask teenagers for their opinion, you better be ready for...well, their opinion.

Here are some recent quotes.

Me: "What animal would you want to be?"
Ninth Grader: "A dolphin."
Me: "Why?"
Ninth Grader: "Because they’ve got good mating calls."

Me: "What animal would you want to be?"
Ninth Grader: "Ninja Butterfly."

Me: "What did you do this weekend?"
Ninth Grader Number One (said in his best Napoleon Dynamite voice): "I pretty much just beat up the neighborhood gangsters."
Ninth Grader Number Two: "I killed some zombies."

And I don't remember what the question was, but I did write down the student's answer. "It’s crap. I mean it is cow patty poop." Somehow it doesn't really matter what the question was. Your challenge is to somehow work that phrase into a conversation within the next 24 hours. And if you put extra emphasis on "patty poop" and spit ensues--extra points.

Also a bit of news that I've been sitting on for a while. I recently got the opportunity to sign with Thomas Nelson publishing. I'll write a three book YA series (which I should be working on right now), then tackle some chick-lit. Should be interesting. Nelson is jumping into the YA waters with everything they've got, so I'm really excited to be a part of that and see what happens. I will miss Katie Parker and Maxine though. I don't hardly know how to write a book without them (as evident by my sad lack of pages...). But I've already got a new character in book one that is a Maxine reincarnate. Why he's as feisty as a...Ninja Butterfly.

Finally, thanks to my good buddy Kelsey for reminding me of a favorite Will Ferrell clip. It's already brightening my weekend.

  posted at 10:05 PM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 11:39 PM, Blogger WordVixen said...

Sweet! I love In Between (planning to get On The Loose soon), and have been wanting to see what you do with chick-lit.

Also, congrats on Thomas Nelson, and thanks for the video. I adore Will Ferrell.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out the Thomas Nelson website and they look like a great fit for you! Congratulations!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi. I surfed in here from Camy's Loft. I don't know how you find time to teach and write. My hat's off to you. And it sounds like you have a great bunch of kids.

Michelle

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

Hey, Michelle! Glad you stopped by! I really do have a great group of kids. And of course it helps when I derive entertainment value from them. I live for their next funny comment.

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your heart for teaching 9th graders. They just about drove me out of teaching...oh,wait,they did!!!! (Sort of)

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Congrats on signing with Thomas Nelson! What an awesome opportunity!
Camy

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

Bless my heart, indeed. ; ) Thanks, Jennifer. And thanks, Camy, super star of knitting and chick-lit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up