Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Happy Halloween and Stuff!
Halloween is a holiday that many Christians do not take part in. Some say it promotes evil and darkness.

In my family, we think it promotes candy.

But it's not like we'd ever let our young family members wear ghoulish costumes. No, if we did participate in Halloween, we'd dress them up in cute, positive outfits that reflect light! And joy!


Oops. Okay, so this one slid by us. This is my uber spooky newphew, Hardy. But how can you say no to that face, right? That is a face you want to give candy to.

But it's not like we'd let my two year old niece wear anything creepy. Maybe an angel costume or a princess?


WHAT? She's adorable. Okay, she's a witch, but did you check out the tights? You cannot pass those up. And the princess costumes did not have cute, stripey tights and accessories. Stripey tights + cute pointy hat= more candy for her aunt!

So In Between is on a poster for Arkansas Year of the Book! The nice people in Little Rock sent me a copy of it.


Here's a closer shot, where you can see Katie Parker hanging out with dignitaries, such as LBJ (kids, that's a former P-R-E-S-I-D-E-N-T).

She's also on the poster with a guy who wrote a book who wants to be president.


But this one is especially cool, because In Between shares poster-space with a book about the Little Rock Nine, by LR9er, Elizabeth Jacoway. \

I haven't read Elizabeth's book, but if you haven't read the book Warriors Don't Cry, by Melba Patillo Beals, a true account of the integration of Central in Little Rock, you so need to. I'm all about me some fluff reading, and this isn't it, and I still loved the book.

So thank you state of Arkansas for putting my Katie Parker, LBJ, and Mike Huckabee on the same poster. It's an honor to share space on paper products with you.

Hope your Halloween or alternative holiday of positivity was great. Today we had some students dress up, including two ninth graders in the inflatable sumo wrestler suits. I saw one go into the bathroom, and I thought...I don't even want to know.

  posted at 8:17 PM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to you! What an honor. Where can I get a copy? I would love to put it in my room.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger C.J. Darlington said...

How cool is that? Very. :)

Our question on TitleTrakk this week is, "What was the best Halloween costume you've ever worn or ever seen?"

Feel free to check it out here and let us know your answer! Um, it's okay to post that here, right Jenny? :)

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sooo awesome that your book made it onto a poster...!! Now they just need to hang the posters everywhere!

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can print a smaller, PDF version of the poster from here:
http://www.asl.lib.ar.us/ACFB/FreshPoster.pdf

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking a children dressed up and coming to the door with candy...I had several stop by, even though my porch light wasn't on (because I hadn't gotten candy). The first two precious darlings that stopped by I informed that I had no candy and that I was super sorry. They proceeded to ask if I had any money. Money! I was stunned. No money, but thankfully they liked my cats and that distracted them enough to be satisfied.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

My brother and I were just reminiscing last night about the old neighbor lady who would give trick-or-treaters money...a penny. Just one. And she didn't have any nifty cats to look at.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

What a great I idea. I didn't give out anything this year because we had something going on at church instead, but starting now I'm going to grab the loose change that people leave in the little bowls next to chase registers and on top of vending machines and then I just drop it in the there little plastic pumpkins. At a penny each, I shouldn't need more than a dollar or so, and it wouldn't cost me anything. Why I could probably move up to given out nickles or dimes. I could move up to quarters if I include the money I swipe out of the offering plate at church.

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY COW! You're my HERO, Jenny B. Or maybe my heroine. Unless that's illegal in Arkansas. I can never remember. But still, it's SO COOL that you made it onto the official poster. Nice work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up