Friday, November 30, 2007
Last weekend I saw a great movie. Enchanted. I told my students about it, but most were not impressed in the least. They are only impressed when we discuss movies that involve decapitation, blood, and guts. This movie definitely doesn’t qualify.

So the gist of Enchanted is that Giselle is a cartoon. And she lives in this perfect cartoon world. She wonders “Where oh where is my true love?” And within minutes (this is a perfect world, after all), she is in distress from a giant, globby ogre and guess who rides up (literally) to save the day? This totally hot cartoon guy. And within seconds they are in love. Call that unrealistic, but frankly, any guy who would save me from something that looks like a giant booger, I’m all his. So things happen and Gisella gets sent to a land that “never has happy endings.” They call this place New York City. (I call it a great place to buy a purse.)

And Giselle is so out of her element. She wears ball gowns. She consorts with nature’s creatures. But most importantly, she sings whenever the mood strikes. And dances. Like when she just can’t seem to find the right words, it’s okay because she is suddenly struck with the most perfect random choreography. You might say this is unrealistic, too, but no. It’s not. Haven’t you ever been in an awkward situation and you’re stumped for something to say? And wouldn’t you love to just break into singing and dancing and diffuse the moment?

“What? You think I jammed the copy machine and then walked off and left it for someone else to take care of? I have nothing to say! ...But I will throw myself in the floor and do the worm.”

“No, Boss, I don’t know why the clock says I’m twenty minutes late. So strange. But this musical number just popped into my head. Would you like to see it?” Let's face it, sometimes the only thing that can make a situation better is some jazz hands.

And haven’t you ever been so nervous and tongue tied that busting out in song would make it all better? Or a certain song would sum up your feelings best? Here are some examples.

When you want to thank the pilot for not smashing your plane into a mountain. “You raise me up! So I can soar with eagles! And I am stronger…when I am on your shoulders..."

When someone asks me what I want to see a lot of in the month of January: “Ice, ice, baby!”

When you come home and wonder if Fido has been taken for a walk. “Who let the dogs out? Woo! Woo! Woo!”

When you are sick of driving and just think you’ll put it on cruise and nap a bit. “Jesus, take the wheel! Take it from my hand...”

When you go to the freezer and see that at some point you ate the last of the Ben and Jerry’s. And though you have no memory of it, the ice cream is gone. “What hurts the most was being so close and having so much to say. And watching you walk away. And never knowing. What could have been. And not seeing that loving you is what I was tryin’ to do!

When you throw on sweats that don’t match, hair in a ball cap, and run to the store for mere seconds…and see everyone you ever went to high school with. “I’m bringing sexy back...”

When you’re hours away from Christmas break and can’t take anymore…
"S.O.S. please someone help me.
It's not healthy... for me to feel this way
Y.O.U. are making this hard,
I can't take it, see it don't feel right
S.O.S. please someone help me
It's not healthy... for me to feel this way
Y.O.U. are making this hard.
"

When the barista tells you they are all out of whipped cream.
"That I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seats...
I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires
..."

When you get that Christmas present from that certain relative who shops at the place where things cannot be returned. “Your presents stink, and they are an insult to good shopping! You are hereby erased from the family tree! And your holiday sweater is ugly too!” Okay, that’s not actually a real song. But it should be.

So see, songs can say so much. Especially when combined with some strategically placed flora and fauna. And a big poofy dress. Give it a try this weekend.
Or at least go see the movie.

  posted at 6:19 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Brittanie said...

I saw Enchanted last weekend too. It was much better than what I expected. It is the first real family friendly film I have seen in a long time. The adults liked and the children. :)

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

I'll be sure to put that on my todo list. The next time I want to impress a woman I'll just save her from a giant booger. That sounds so much easier than messing with all of that mushy stuff. I might even be able to make some money at this. I'll be kind of like Cupid. For a price, I'll supply the giant booger and all the guy has to do is save the girl. Well, I'm off find a large elephant with hay fever.

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*trying to type while laughing hysterically...*

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you come up with this stuff?

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know! Life would be so much happier if I could sing all the time and not have to worry about it in a sticky situation instead!!! haha, So ya, how do you come up with all of this stuff?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up