Friday, January 18, 2008
Randomosities
One school in my general area got cancelled this morning. It wasn't mine. But since I know you're on the edge of your seat, worried about my weather situation (or lack of), let me tell you there is a chance of sleet and a wintery mix Monday, and I'm all over it. Oh, let it be like a water into wine miracle. Turn that barely frozen precip into school closing snow!!! And is "winter mix" weatherman talk for "We don't know what the crap is going to happen?"

On one hand I'm glad to see American Idol back on. On the other, it's four hours a week I'm not working. It's not too productive for me, I'm afraid. But did you notice on the first episode how sappy nice the judges were? They totally got taken to task for their mean behavior last year, you know it. If you go on there, it's permission to be made fun of, but NOT if the contestant is mentally handicapped. But if you're vocally handicapped--open season. Paula is such a nurturer. She should've been a nun or something. Maybe a kindergarten teacher. And so far--she's totally sober. With cute hair! Word is, she's in negeotiations to sing at the Super Bowl. WHY do we get such uninteresting people to sing at the Super Bowl? Paul McCartney? YAWN! The Rolling Stones? Um, the Rolling Bones! Although last year's concert with Prince was fabulous, but my students were like...who was that short guy again? And what was on his head? But Paula Abdul? Straight up, now tell me, why would she sing? I guess it's better than Hannah Montana.

If you're up for a movie this weekend, I can recommend The Bucket List and National Treasure II. Both were good. Not great, but good. I liked the suspense and fast pace of NT II. Also got to see some familiar sites from my summer vacation in Europe. (They were filming right where one of our tours was!) And I enjoyed The Bucket List because it was really cool to see three of the best actors of our time in a movie together (Nicholson, Freeman, and Jack from Will and Grace). I've seen another movie, but I've watched so much weather since then, I can't remember.

Don't forget, all you Jane Austen fans, that PBS is showing new and not so new (hello, Colin Firth) movies of her books for the next five Sunday nights or so. Last Sunday was Persuasion. And if you're like me, and you didn't read Pride and Prejudice like you were supposed to over the summer, it's a really great way to catch up on what Miss Austen wrote. Because I seem to be the only female writer (or English major) in existence who hasn't read her books or tatooed her name on my chest. I'm sorry! But 100 years from now when classic Danielle Steele is all the rage, who will be the literary snob then? Me, that's who. Because I read everything the woman ever wrote when I was in junior high (not advisable actually) and passed on the Austen. But by the end of February, I will be well versed on my Mr. Darcy and...(insert hoity toity British name here). So thank you, Masterpiece Theatre for taking me out of Austen obscurity.

Now, I must proceed to my study, have a spot of tea, tighten my corset, and pen my own tale.

  posted at 6:15 AM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww... i feel bad for you about school... we're gonna get snow tomorrow nite, but i don't think it'll affect snow.. just chuch.. funny how that happens...

and btw, that collin firth pride and prejudice??? my fave!!! i got the DVD for my 16th birthday... oh how i love it!!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Um....if you need a corset, then what on earth is it that I need?! Whatever!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

Colin Firth is so great. I don't know what it is. HE's not exactly classic handsome, you know? Maybe it's the accent.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, could be, lol.
the first movie i saw him in was that, so when i saw him in nanny mcphee, or if i see clips of him in other movies, its really funny!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up