Thursday, January 03, 2008
Hello, Weekend!
Wow, lots going on in the world. Trouble in Pakistan, chaos in Kenya, the hustle and bustle of Iowa, my former governor on Jay Leno.Lindsey Lohan boozing it up on New Year's, Brit's lawyers quitting (the third set), and Brit finally sitting down to her deposition (a whole whopping 14 minutes--what's that about?).

And a story that also came out this past week--the poor girl whose essay won her four tickets to see Hannah Montana, only get them snatched out of her hands because her little essay apparently wasn't all true. I guess she wrote about her military dad dying in Iraq...and then she won the tickets...then the truth came out and she lost her expense paid trip to see Hannah M.

A few people I know brought this story to my attention. See when I was in the eighth grade there was this contest in our local paper. You were to write a STORY about the best Christmas you ever had. That's totally what our English teacher said to do. And she said if we won the contest, the prize was a frozen turkey. But if we didn't want the turkey she'd give us ten bucks. Well, I saw dollar signs and wrote myself a little story about a girl and her brother who lost their dad, but found the true meaning of Christmas. It's okay, you can shed a tear. I know it's heart-tugging already, isn't it? And I won the contest. The story was published and then the calls started coming in. People we knew wanted to pass on their condolences over the loss of my father--seems they hadn't even known he was sick, let alone bought the farm.

Apparently the story was supposed to have been true--not fictional. But in my defense, I never saw a rule sheet--that I recall anyway. And our teacher never said it had to be true. So I kind of feel for the girl who wrote the made up story about her not-so-dead father. Sometimes a girl just needs to fake a father's death, okay?
But I do have a friend (and her mother) who will NEVER let me forget my subterfuge. My accidental trickery. My shenanigans in the name of free poultry. But I still contend (Sheila, if you're reading this!) that I won that bird fair and square. Plus my dad probably needed to reconnect with some of those old high school friends anyway.

For 2008 I would love to really do yoga on a regular basis. I do it about once every two months. You know, often enough to pull something. This week I watched Gelman, the Regis and Kelly producer show off his yoga skills. The guy is in his 50s and he can do this.

So this really inspired me. I am always amazed what these yogis can do, lifting their own body weight and basically making themselves all pretzely. So I tuned into FitTV (love that channel) for Namaste Yoga and did some yoga myself. Then they broke out the advanced moves. And I thought...I'm gonna try this. It looked like this:
Tripod Handstand Pose: Tips for Mastering Advanced Yoga Techniques
I thought, how hard can it be?
I nearly fell into the TV.
And I didn't feel any too relaxed afterwards.
I think I forgot to "ommm." I'm sure that will make all the difference.
Well, that and the fact that only silly putty should be twisted like that.

Have a good weekend.
Ommmm....

  posted at 6:39 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

It's sad, but it seems like you have to have a sob story for people to give you anything these days. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition will build you a house in a week if have a convincing sob story. I on heard about an annual contest for Christian singing groups. What I heard was that it is usually the group that has someone with a sob story that wins. I'm not sure which is worse, making up a sob story or giving an award to someone who hasn't earned it, because something bad has happened.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Vanessa Hall said...

Hey the way I remember things it was a Thanksgiving contest.. but that's okay. You won fair and square. Maybe the poultry should have been crow. teehee...........

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

You're right, Sheila's mom, it was around Thanksgiving, but we had to write about a memorable Christmas. And writing about that fateful Christmas was so therapeutic for me after such a tragic loss of my parent... HA! Will you ever let me live that down???

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

And I totally can't watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up