Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Tornadoes Make Me Sleepy
Seventy degree weather in the winter doesn't just make Al Gore angry. It makes Mother Nature totally freak out. Ugh. last night was cray-zay! It all started about seven. Then continued through two a.m. Funnel clouds, rotations, get to your safe place (really? I should take cover from a tornado in a vat of Ben and Jerry's?), all is safe, no, cancel that, take cover again! Etc. EXHAUSTING.

A lot of things go through your mind when twisters show up.
Like:
1. Should this be my last night on earth, I am really going to regret not eating a high calorie dinner.

2. If all this torrential rain was frozen, I'd be out of school for like a week!

3. Should I risk the hail and drive down the street to hang out in my friend's cellar? Yes, I think so. What kind of snacks should I pack for that?

4. Should wind sound like that?

5. If I take cover in my bathroom, the most interior room, my car could crash in on me. I think that would hurt.

6. Is it irresponsible to sleep through a tornado?

7. Who are these freak storm chasers who keep calling into Channel 5? "Um. . . yeah, it's uh, raining here. That's all." You're a disgrace to true storm chasing!

8. And why don't they have winter storm chasers? Snow seekers? I would totally sign up for that.

9. Why do true storm chasers get in the most dangerous places? "I'm calling from the top of the overpass, looking right into the eye of a funnel cloud. I think I just saw my house fly overhead..."

10. And my final thought at 2:15, as I woke up to screaming winds,my house shaking like it was going to collapse, and the electricity going off. . . Should I put pants on?

  posted at 9:37 AM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 8:21 PM, Blogger WordVixen said...

You know, I actually read that title as "Tomatoes Make Me Sleepy".

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, so did i --"tomatoes make me sleepy." sorry for all the drama!! you're so funny, though, lol.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly tornadoes didn't even have the decency to damage the high school, right? Least they could have done was leave just enough damage to close for a few days - just as darn good as a snow day!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

And it's not that I wanted our school hurt. But I was secretly hoping for an electrical outage that would mysteriously last for a few days... Is that too much to ask for?

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger C.J. Darlington said...

Oh, so now I know where you got your idea for On the Loose ...

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A girl at school said she did literally sleep in something that would have been acceptable walk around outside would it have been the case that she had been swooshed outside. Or in case all her other clothes got blown away. Glad to know you made it through.

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo about 11 I sooo thought about #1 and i actually did eat a BUTT-LOAD of stuff....haha....that was the highlight of the night:)

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a riot, Jen. Enjoyed your post!--Julie Dearyan

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

C.J., almost two years ago we had a tornado in this area that wiped out a few houses and did some crazy damage (no injuries). The Weather Channel even showed up! But that's EXACTLY where book two came from. : )

Thanks for stopping by, Julie!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up