Monday, January 21, 2008
A Girl Can Dream
Once again I have placed all my self-worth on the wrong things and come up short. Snow. Well, actually, this time--ice.
I have tracked this system for DAYS. For nearly a week, in fact.
And it was all a go--until this afternoon. Yes, the school-closing, couch/tv promising ice we were supposed to get Tuesday has been scaled back at the last minute to "a little bit of insignificant sleet." It will only slicken up the bridges and overpasses, if anything. Do you know how this makes me feel? Can you even begin to understand my hurt? I bought a gallon of milk, three boxes of cereal, and two magazines for this event! And then Old Man Weather just KICKS me when I'm down.

It's all so unfair. It's a good thing I have Ben and Jerry's and Chips Ahoy to keep me company in these dark hours.

And then somebody commented on my blog today (in archives) about how dare I say henna stunk. I had no right to do that. Number one, I'm in a deep depression, and I can say anything I want. Number two, apparently using henna on the hair sucks out your sense of humor. And number three, I stuck cotton balls up my schnoz, for crying out loud. For a solid hour. And that was AFTER I went through 15 minutes of dry heaves before I got smart and started plugging up my nose. I think I EARNED the right to say it's a bit stinky. And yes, the right thing to do would've been to let that go and delete the comment, but I'm mad about the ice AND. . . it struck me as really funny. I get in an uproar about important things too--animal abuse, the atrocity of Darfur, child trafficking. But I can't remember the last time I hijacked a blog over a plant. But with the way I feel today with the weather and all, it could be just a matter of time. I kind of understand lashing out at someone over something crazy. So Person Who Posted Yhat Comment, I know your anger over henna (and my disrespect of the reeking plant) was really just you acting out of a deeper, larger hurt that you're not truly ready to share.

Maybe I should call 9-1-1 and tell them I have an emergency.They're trained to respond to any problem.
"What is your emergency?" they'll ask.
And I'll say, "I need snow. And ice. Now." I can't think of anything more pressing and urgent than that. Emergencies are sometimes in the eye of the beholder. Take it from this guy, who called them himself. (thanks for reminding me, Christy!)


Have a good week. If a miracle transpires (and of course, I have a bet riding on it), and we get out, you'll hear me shouting from the roof tops.
Okay, you won't. But maybe from my couch.
Under a blanket. With hot chocolate. And my new magazine.
And my stinky hair.

  posted at 5:27 PM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 6:56 PM, Blogger WordVixen said...

Just be careful... If you notice students turning in their homework with badge numbers instead of names, you know where they've been.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

You've really got to be careful about those Russian henna sales people. I've heard they play with revolvers that have one cartridge in them.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

Maybe henna is code for illegal drug cartel? I dunno.
Just kidding, Henna Loyal Person! I'm sorry. I will quit having fun at your expense.

And Word Vixen, I think most of my students would do anything to AVOID the people with the badges. Though a good handful are very familiar with them...

Have I mentioned I'm supposed to be writing and am days away from a deadline? I can't focus with ice shutting down highways and hour and a half from here! AUGH!!!

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also wanted to leave this piece of advice from the sage intellectuals on Gilmore Girls:

"It's okay. It wasn't snows fault. We had one bad day. Every relationship has its bad days. Doesn't mean you drop and run. You keep going, right? Peaks and valleys keep a relationship fresh."

Don't give up on snow yet! It will come through for you :)

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck on your snow-quest. Just please keep it up there with you. I'm on a 240 day contract, so neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these computer techs from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Brittanie said...

Sorry you have no snow. This week has gotten off to a bad start. Everybody at my office is sick and grumpy! Please keep writing. I want to read it :)

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

Thanks, Brittanie. That's so nice. Yeah, lots of crud going around work. Sick people at work should wear face masks. : )

And Natalie, they had the BEST snow on Gilmore Girls, didn't they? So beautiful. I want to live in Stars Hollow!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Jenny B. Jones

Location:
Arkansas, US

I am a teacher in one of the largest high schools in the state. I'm also a writer of Young Adult novels and am currently working on a brand new series. Book three in the Katie Parker Production series, The Big Picture, will hit shelves in April 2008. Stay tuned!

My Complete Profile

Sign Up